In 2018, we will select 5-10 Big Vision Fellows and spend the year developing feature films and series with them through a fun and rigorous program.
SUBMISSIONS ARE OPEN BELOW!
It's about the people AND the projects.
Launched in 2015, our diversity-focused incubator program supports projects that are written, directed, and/or produced by women, people of color, or LGBTQ filmmakers. The program isn’t theoretical - we’ve already made an impact. See the projects we've supported HERE. In 2016 & 2017, our films premiered at top festivals including Sundance and SXSW and were sold to major film distributors, streaming platforms, and TV networks, and were released in theaters nationwide.
About the Program:
START DATE: MARCH, 2018
WHO: 5-10 fantastic fellows who are interested in developing both TV and film projects selected through a thorough submission and interview process. All of the projects we create together must be written, directed, and/or produced by women, people of color, or LGBTQ creators.
Fellows will meet with the Big Vision team once monthly (in person and virtually for those not in NYC) and will receive access to exclusive pitch opportunities throughout the year. All of the projects that we choose to develop together will be produced by Big Vision Creative and the Big Vision team*. We will provide access to network mandates so we are consistently developing TV projects that are set up for success, and share our extensive relationships with production companies, sales agents, casting directors, and distributors with participants developing feature films.
Companies that have participated in our programs include: TV networks and platforms (HBO, Comedy Central, Discovery, Uninterrupted, TruTV) Film Distributors (IFC, FilmRise, Zeitgeist Films, Magnolia Pictures, Lionsgate, Bleecker Street Media) and Production Companies (Big Beach, Maven Pictures, Braven Films, Washington Square Films and more).
All projects we develop will receive extensive discounts from vendors nationwide (see our PARTNERS here).
*Fellows may be working on projects separate from the program and always retain the rights to their IP. The specifics of our working relationship will be decided on a project-by-project basis and outlined in individual agreements.
Submit An Application:
Through December 31: $30
January 1st - 15th: $40
January 16th - January 31st: $55
- Creators should be interested in working in both TV and film, and have at least one project in development that they can apply with (a series - broadcast or digital, documentary feature film, or narrative feature film).
- The project you are applying with must be written, directed, and/or produced by women, people of color, or LGBTQ filmmakers. This can be you or other members of your key team.
- Creators must have a link to a previous work to share as a work sample - this can be a film, series, video, or a writing sample.
- You may apply as an individual, or as a team if you have a partner who you regularly create with. If you are submitting as a team, the submission should come from one team member. All team members' bios should be included in the bio section.
- You do not need to live anywhere specific, but all events surrounding the program will be in NY, sometimes LA, and at major festivals.
- You will need to provide two professional references that we can contact if you are a finalist.
- Your bio, project description/pitch, and all of your materials should reflect who you are as a creator! For this round of the incubator, we are selecting people, not just specific projects. We want to know the badass creator that YOU are and what makes your point of view unique.
This program isn’t theoretical - We’ve already made an impact.
See the projects we've supported HERE. Our program proves that projects with inclusive teams are good investments, because they truly are.
WHAT will I take away from this program?
Well, hopefully we'll sell a TV together or produce a feature film! But you’ll also learn how to quickly develop pitch materials and make life-long connections with executives and other creators.
Do I need to live anywhere specific?
You can submit your work from anywhere! Most live pitches will be in NYC and LA, but if you are a fantastic creator, we want to know you. We are committed to finding and supporting the most talented creators so we will find ways of working together, even if we’re not based in the same city.
I HAVE FREQUENT COLLABORATORS WHO I LOVE WORKING WITH. MAY WE SUBMIT AS A TEAM?
WE WANT PEOPLE WHO GET AROUND. Like, in teams, not in bed. Unless you get your best ideas in bed, which is totally fine. You can absolutely submit as a team, but it is recommended that it is a team you have experience working with. We want you to have a collaborative spirit regardless and even if you are accepted with your team, you should be open to breaking away and working with different collaborators when appropriate.
WILL WE BE WORKING ON A PROJECT THAT I’M ALREADY DEVELOPING?
Maybe. Throughout the program we will be connecting with our contacts at networks, platforms and other brands so once they share their current mandates with us, we will work on pitches together to bring back to executives. If a project that you’ve already been developing fits the current mandate, we might develop that pitch together and pitch it to the most appropriate outlet. We’ll also discuss your feature film projects with you and if it’s a good fit for Big Vision’s mandate and connections, we might decide to come on board!
WHAT DOES BIG VISION GET IN RETURN AND HOW MUCH DOES THIS COST?
Big Vision Empty Wallet is an incubator and Big Vision Creative is our production company. Big Vision Creative will be attached to produce any of the projects that we develop together through the program. If you are coming to the program with work you’ve already created, you will retain all rights to your IP. This will all be laid out in an agreement on a project-by-project basis! There is no cost to participate in the program, other than possible travel to meetings and events. Big Vision does not cover any travel or housing for participants.