Submissions Open for 2018 Comedy Series Lab!
Submissions: Open through July 25th
Program: September 13th-14th
Live Pitch Event: September 14th in NYC
Details & Selection Process
Submissions will be accepted here through July 25th. Semi-Finalists will be notified the first week of August and asked to participate in an interview process and discuss their pitches. The participants will be announced by August 15th.
The selected participants will develop series concepts and pitches with the Big Vision team leading up to the live component, where the pitches will continue to be workshopped in person in NYC. The final pitch day will take place on September 14th at the Writers Guild of America East, where the participants will present their pitches to executives from our partners, including Refinery 29 and TruTV.
Just like with our incubator, our focus is on YOU, not just your project. Through your submission, we want to know who you are as a person and as a creator, and what unique perspective you bring to the table. Here's what you'll need to prepare for your submission:
- A brief bio that showcases who you are as a creator
- An explanation of your unique voice and POV as a creator
- A link to a work sample, which can be something that was already produced, a link to your website, or a pilot script
- A pitch for a project that meets at least one of the following criteria:
- Comedy series that feature a strong female lead
- Half-hour format-driven shows (i.e. late night shows, shows that weave performance and narrative, hosted shows, game shows)
- Hybrid scripted/unscripted half hour shows
- Comedies that take viewers into unexpected worlds
- Educational/informative comedy series that incorporate audience take-aways
- Half hour comedy series that have a strong POV and are socially or politically relevant
- Comedic narratives that show women rising to the challenge through unexpected explorations of female ambition
Other important criteria and details:
- Projects can be based on existing IP that you own the rights to (i.e. an existing web series, film, book, podcast, etc) or can be an entirely new concept. The creator will retain all rights to their IP if selected to be a part of this program.
- Projects must not have a production company currently attached - if a project moves forward with one of the networks or companies present at the pitch day, Big Vision Creative will become attached to produce the project (laid out in a separate attachment agreement).
- Projects must not have been previously in development at a network in an official capacity.
- You may submit as an individual or as a team.
- If you are choosing between several concepts, please submit with the project that best represents your voice as a creator, however multiple submissions will be accepted.
- Pitches will be accepted through our submission form ONLY, but additional materials may be sent to us via email (though it is not required).
- Projects may be short form or up to thirty minutes long.
- Please remember that we are accepting PITCHES. This can be a new idea, or be more fleshed out with a pilot script, sizzle, or pitch deck, but we are specifically looking for projects that have not yet been produced.
- You do not need to live in NY to submit. Travel and accommodations will not be provided for Comedy Lab participants. If you are applying to the Lab and do not live in the New York metropolitan area, you will need to cover your own travel and accommodation expenses.
- Most importantly, every project we produce or support through Big Vision Empty Wallet or Big Vision Creative must be inclusive. In your application, you will have to state how you plan to promote inclusivity in front of and behind the camera with this series.
Submit Your Work
General Submission Fee:
Through 7/15 - $30
7/16 - 7/25 - $40